Hide

THORNTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"THORNTON, a parish partly in the Wilton-Beacon, but chiefly in the Holme-Beacon, division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Pocklington, containing, with the townships of Melbourn and Storwood,751 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the perpetual curacy of Allerthorpe, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean of York, rated in the king's books at £7. 5. 10."


"MELBOURN, a township in that part of the parish of THORNTON, which is in the Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Pocklingtou, containing 437 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"STORWOOD, a township in that part of the parish of THORNTON, which is in the Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 85 miles W.S.W. from Pocklington, containing 116 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]