THORNTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"THORNTON, a parish, and township in the parish of Harthill, East Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Pocklington, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the canal and a branch of the river Derwent. The parish includes the townships of Melbourne and Storthwaite. There are cotton-mills. The land is partly in common. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Allerthorpe annexed, in the diocese of York, value £210, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is old. The register dates from the 16th century. There is a parochial school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school in the township of Melbourne. Colonel Wyndham is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"MELBOURNE, a township in the parish of Thornton, Holme Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Pocklington. It is a large tract of land, part common, lying between a branch of the river Derwent and the canal."
"STORTHWAITE, a township in the parish of Thornton, Holme-Bacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 3½ miles W. of Thornton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013