Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for THORNTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
- Letters, via Pocklington. arrive at 9 a.m. Wall Box cleared at 4-55 p.m. Nearest Post Office, and for purchase only of POstal Orders, Melbourne (one mile). Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, Pocklington (five miles).
Miscellany of trades
- Beckett William, parish clerk
- Coates Robert, joiner
- Coates Thomas, shoemaker
- Hesslewood John, carrier to York (Saturday)
- Setree Miss Caroline Alice, schoolmistress
- Smith Joseph, bricklayer
- Brown John, Grey Horse house
- Gibson Arthur, Thornton grange
- Gibson Mark, Oak farm
- Gibson William, Westfield house
- Hesslewood Wm.(& carrier to Pocklington, Sat.)
- Nicholls James, East farm
- Nicholls Michael, Eastfield house (and miller, Walbut mill)
- Oldridge Thomas, Fir Tree farm
- Richardson Elisha John, Thornton Street hs, Barmby Moor
- Rooke Mark, Mill house
- Rooke William
- Snowden John
- Story Robert Gibson
- Tasker William
- Post Office, and for purchase only of Postal Orders, at George Beckett's. Letters, via Pocklington, arrive at 8-50 a.m.; despatch at 4-35 p.m. No Sunday business. Wall Box, one mile east of Post Office, is cleared at 4-10 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, Pocklington (six miles).
Miscellany of trades
- Atkin Wm. Wilfred, vict., Blacksmiths' Arms
- Barrow Stephen, tailor and grocer
- Beckett George, shoemaker and postmaster
- Board School (mixed) Henry Phillips, master
- Brown Thomas, shoemaker
- Bruce Richard Chas., joiner and wheelwright, asst. overseer and clerk to the School Board
- Clarkson Robert, gardener
- Crawford Mrs. Hannah
- Dales Wm., vict. and refreshment contractor, Cross Keys Inn
- Foster Hy., head gamekeeper, Melbourne hall
- Fussey Joseph, police constable
- Gorwood George, carrier to York (Wednesday, Saturday, and alternate Thursdays)
- Grant James, blacksmith
- Gunston Captain Bernard Hamilton (late 5th Dragoon Guards), Melbourne hall
- Harrison Mrs. Elizabeth, Ross Moor house
- Harrison John, grocer
- Hodgson Miss Mary Ann, dressmaker
- Howard Miss Jane, Melbourne grange
- Hudson Charles, cattle dealer, Ross moor
- Irwin Rev. Chas. A. K., B.A., curate-in-charge
- Kidd Chas., carrier to Pocklington (Saturday)
- Kidd Jno. Jas., carrier to York, Tues. and Sat.
- Kidd Mrs. Mary, grocer
- Parrott William, grocer
- Todd Frederick, tailor
- Todd Richard, shoemaker
- Brabbs James Thomas, Brickyard farm
- Brabbs John
- Cook John (and blacksmith)
- Dales William, Cross Keys Inn
- Dalton James, Melbourne grange, farm bailiff to William Thomlinson Walker, Esq.
- Featherstone Thomas
- Harrison John, Westfield farm
- Hessle Robert
- Homley Thomas, The Lodge
- James Thomas
- Jennings Francis, Prospect house
- Kirk John Frederick, (and butcher)
- Ogle Charles Henry, Glebe farm
- Ogle George Henry, East farm (and brick and tile manufacturer), Seaton Ross
- Pulleyn Frank, Bibble farm
- Simpson James, Ross Moor farm
- Simpson John
- Simpson John, junr.
- Smith John, Violet cottage
- Story Thomas, Barnfield house
- Todd George, East Common farm
- Towler John
- Walker Richard, Park farm, bailiff to Walter Cliff, Esq.
- West Stephen, Ross moor
- Whitfield Thos.
STORWOOD OR STORTHWAITE TOWNSHIP.
- Letters via Wilberfoss, York.
- Anson George
- Hessle Thomas, Park house
- Jennings Francis Thomas (yeo.), White house
- Jennings Robt. Edwin (yeo.), Storwood grange
- Jennings Thomas (yeo.), Manor house
- Jones John Dales, hind for John Sherbourne
- Rickatson Robert, Rush Wood house
- Simpson George, General lane
- Tate Edward, (and temperance hotel proprietor), Hagg bridge
- Thompson Matthew, Rose cottage
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.