Area, 1,870 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 206 ; Church-room, 85 *1 ; Net value, £328. -The town and Church were given to the monks of St. Alban's, and confirmed to them by King John's charter, and afterwards the Church came to the patronage of the Lords Greystock, and from them to the Lords Dacre, and afterwards to the Earls of Carlisle, who presented till 1766, when Mrs. Thompson, of Escrick, widow, presented, and she again presented in 1771. In 1801 and 1802, George Watson and others presented ; in 1807, William Wood and others; and in 1820, the Archbishop presented by reason of lapse.
The present patron is Earl Fitzwilliam.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £12, and in his new taxation at £5. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books at £12; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 426, at £50.
There was no glebe house returned in 1818. In 1834, the return was " unfit."
The Register Books commence in 1656.
The Rev. James Graves's gift, by-will, dated 4th June 1804. Dividends on £200 navy five per cents. for teaching as many poor boys and girls reading, writing, and arithmetic, (and the girls to be also taught useful needlework,) as the trustees should think proper. Ten children were taught at the time of the Report. -Vide 9th Report, page 718.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS., page 807. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 126.
*1 Estimated in 1818 at 150.