Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: THWING. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 4,060 acres. Dickering wapentake. Population, 350 *1; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £520. -The Church was a Rectory of medieties; the one of the patronage of the Thwings, barons, from whom it descended to the Lords Lumley, the other of the Harphams, but given by one of them to the Priory of Bridlington.
Both medieties came to the Crown, which has presented since 1570; and in 1748, at the request of the Rev. Marmaduke Draper, Rector of both medieties, and with the consent of the Crown, the Archbishop of York consolidated the medieties.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £20 each mediety, viz., Roger's part and John's part, which in the new taxation is reduced to £12 each ; in the King's books at £8. 11s. 11d. each mediety; Thraves 2s. 8d., Synodals 4s., Procurations 1s. 9d. each mediety ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 411, it is stated : " the medieties are worth £127 per annum."
There was a Chapel in this Church, dedicated to the honour of St. Thomas the Martyr, in which was a Chantry, found by Thomas de Thwing, Rector of the Church of Lythum.
22nd June 1803, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Chancel.
An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1691. Early ones, loose parchment ; deficient from 1727 to 1735, inclusive ; also from 1743 to 1746. -Vide Transcripts at York.
Mary Austin's charity, by codicil to her will, dated 1st February 1770, and also by a subsequent codicil (date not specified). Dividends of £200 three per cent. consols, distributed every Michaelmas day among the six oldest poor widows in the parish. -Vide 9th Report, page 739.
Post town: Hunmanby.
Torre's MS., page 997. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 205. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Teuuenc,) pages 15. 31. 233. Burton's Monast. page 242.
*1 Including Octon, Octon Grange, and Wold Cottage.
OCTON. -A town in the parish of Thwing, belonged, together with its manor, to the family of the Thwings.
Here was a Chapel dedicated to St. Michael, in which was a Chantry, founded by Sir William de Thwing in 1327 ; as to which, A.D. 1328, it was ordered by the Archbishop, that the Rectors of Thwing should pay two marks per annum, towards finding a chaplain to serve there from Martinmas to Pentecost, which is the winter half year, certain festivals being there named, both in the winter and summer, on which they (the inhabitants) were obliged to come to the parish church of Thwing. This Chapel is charged with Synodals, 4d.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.