THWING: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"THWING, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 8½ miles N.W. of Bridlington, its post town, and 10 N. of Driffield. The village is situated on the Wolds. The parish includes the hamlets of Octon and Wold Cottage. At the latter place is an obelisk erected in 1799 in commemoration of a phenomenon which occurred in the month of December, 1795, when a meteoric stone of 56 lbs. weight fell from the sky and partly embedded itself in the earth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £520, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains several monuments, including one to Archbishop Lamplugh, who was a native of this parish. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There are a parochial school, also chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Wold Cottage is the principal residence. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"OCTON, (or Octum, And Octon-grange), townships in the parish of Thwing, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Great Driffield, and 8 W. by N. of Bridlington."
"WOLD COTTAGE, a hamlet in the parish of Thwing, East Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Great Driffield."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013