[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"TUNSTALL, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's; 8 miles ENE. of Hedon. This village is situated near to that part of the sea coast known by the name of Sand le Mar; and is much frequented by the inhabitants of the neighbouring villages for the purpose of procuring pebbles and gravel to repair the roads. The church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, the Rev. Jonathan Dixon is vicar, and the patron the Dean and Chapter of York. Pop. 163."
"HOOKS, a farm house in the township and parish of Tunstall, middle-division of Holderness; 1¾ miles NNW. of Tunstall, 8 miles from Hedon."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 50 gravestones and plaques at Tunstall with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Tunstall in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Tunstall.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tunstall to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA305318 (Lat/Lon: 53.766206, -0.021636), Tunstall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: