WALKINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentakes of Harthill (Hunsley Beacon Division) and Howdenshire - County Council Electoral Division of Walkington - Petty Sessional Division of North Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Beverley - Archdeaconry of East Riding - Diocese of York
This parish, comprising 3,724 acres, lies south-west of Beverley, and is nearly equally divided between the wapentakes of Harthill and Howdenshire. The soil varies from clay in the east to wold or chalk in the west, and forms excellent sheep-farming land. The principal proprietors are C. E. G. Barnard, Esq., South Cave; the Rector of Walkington, in right of his church; E. R. B. H. Watt, Esq., Bishop Burton Hall; Arthur Wilson, Esq., Tranby Croft; Major John Daniel Ferguson-Fawsitt, Walkington Hall; Thomas Stephenson, Esq., Beverley; Thomas Staveley Stephenson, Walkington House; Lord Grimthorpe; Mrs. Crust, Beverley; Robert Dunning; and the Committee of the East Riding Lunatic Asylum. The assessed value of the whole township is £4,713, and the population was returned in 1891 at 950.
About one-half of the parish belongs to the Bishop of Durham's manorial liberty of Howdenshire, now held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the rest is in the manor of Provost's Fee, of which C. E. G. Barnard, Esq., is lord, except a very small portion, which lies in the manor of Beverley Chapter. The Provost's Fee belonged to the provosts of Beverley until the dissolution of monasteries, when it was transferred to lay hands. This fee and that of Howden were formerly separate constablewicks or townships, but are now united for all poor law, constabulary, and fiscal purposes.
The village of Walkington, which is of considerable extent, stands near the eastern slope of the Wolds, about two-and-a-half miles south-west of Beverley. The church is a stone building in the Perpendicular Gothic style, comprising chancel, nave, transept and a western tower containing three bells. Its dedication to All Saints is supposed to indicate an early Saxon origin. In 1818 it underwent extensive restoration the chancel and some other parts having been entirely rebuilt. It was again restored and re-seated in 1886, when the old-fashioned pews were replaced by stalls of a modern type, and the large ten-light east window was filled with stained glass. It contains a few monumental tablets, but none of special interest. The register dates from the year 1752. The living is a rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £24 13s. 4d., but now worth, according to the Diocesan Calendar, £785. The tithes were commuted at the inclosure, in 1795, for 537 acres of land. The Rev. Michael W. B. Dawe, the present patron and rector, has held the living since 1891. The rectory house and grounds adjoin the churchyard.
Two forms of dissent are represented in the village; the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The first chapel of the former was erected in 1822. This was superseded by a more commodious structure, erected in 1887, at a cost of £700. The old chapel, which was enlarged in 1869, is now used as a Sunday school. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was rebuilt in 1879.
In 1873 a School Board was formed which took over the educational affairs of the parish, and erected the present school, opened in 1876. There is a total accommodation in the two departments (mixed and infants) for 150, and an average attendance of 116.
Near the entrance to the village is a small mere or pond, which supplies water for cattle and farm uses; but the only spring available for domestic purposes is Crook Well, some little distance from the village. About a quarter-of-a mile north-east of Walkington, on the road to Beverley, are the remains of one of the ancient crosses that marked the limit of sanctuary privilege attaching to Beverley Minster. It stands by the footpath, close to the hedge, and consists of about 30 inches of the shaft inserted in a large stone. There is another of these crosses inside the hedge, on the road from Beverley to Bentley, and one on the road to Bishop Burton.
The East Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum is situated in this parish, about one mile from Beverley. It is an extensive structure, in the Italian style, built of red brick, relieved by white brick and stone dressings. Adjoining is a chapel, in the Gothic style. Attached to the asylum is a farm of 120 acres, on which some of the inmates find employment. The total cost was about £43,000.
Charities. - William Sherwood, in 1573, bequeathed certain rent-charges, cottages, and 511 acres of land, in this parish, for the use of the poor and the reparation of the road from Walkington to Beverley. The rents now amount to £72 per annum. The church, school, and poor, have each two acres of land, left by a Mr. Wauldby. This land now lets for about £10 a year.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.