WATTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WATTON, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S. from Great Driffield, containing 307 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of R. Bethell, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A nunnery of the Sempringham order, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here, in 1150, upon the site of a more ancient priory, which existed so early as the year 686: at the dissolution, its revenue was valued at £453. 7. 8., when its site and remains, which are still considerable, were granted to John, Earl of Warwick."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]