Hide

WATTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WATTON, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles S. of Great Driffield, its post town. There are traces of a Gilbertine nunnery, founded by Eustace Fitz-John in 1150, on the site of a more ancient priory, which existed as early as 686. At the Dissolution its revenue was valued at £453 7s. 8d., when its site and remains, which are still discernible, were given to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £60. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013