Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WAWNE.     Church dedication: ST. PETER.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 5,550 acres. Holderness wapentake, M.D. *1 -Population, 338 *2; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £49. -The manor of Waghen was part of the ancient possessions of the Archbishops of York till passed away to King Henry VIII. by Archbishop Lee.

The Church was of the patronage of the Abbey and Convent of Albemarle, to whom it was given by Stephen Earl of Albemarle, till Archbishop Walter Gray procured it of them, and annexed it, with its Chapels, to the Chancellorship of York in 1230, so that the Chancellor hath the Rectory of the Church, to whom it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1244.

Patron, the Chancellor of the Church of York.

Impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York.

Walter Gray granted here, on Kal., Maij, A.D. 1229, twenty-two oxgangs of land to the Abbey of Meaux in frank-almoigne, rendering an annual pension of one hundred shillings.

Within this parish was the Chapel of Sutton, to which belonged the inhabitants of Sutton, Lopholm, Staneferry, and a part of Drypool. When this Chapel had right of sepulture granted to it, the Custos and Canons thereof contracted to pay 13s. 4d. to the Chancellor for ever, as Rector of Waghen, and 20s. to the Vicar of Waghen. The parishioners of this chapelry likewise paid a pension to Waghen.

Torre gives a composition made in 1257 with the Abbey of Meaux about tithes, and another made in 1454 with Sutton, as to the right of sepulture and the annual oblations.

Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

Valued in the King's books, at £7. 0s. 8d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 234. 519, it is stated : " Vicarage, £12; Easter book and all small tithes, £7 per annum ;" -and in 1818, at £39 per annum.

Augmented in 1810, with £200; and in 1816, with £200 -both by lot.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence. The return states, that " The ground rooms are low, dark, and mean ; the chambers are the same ;" and it was returned as " unfit," in 1834.

An Act was passed 7th Geo. IV. to confirm an award made for ascertaining the glebe lands of the Rectory appropriate.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charity:
Poor's Land. This consists of eight acres of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £15 per annum. The land is freehold, in the parish of Cottingham, and under the management of the overseers of the poor of Wawne, and the rent is carried to the same account with that of the poor's rates ; and a sum of money exceeding the yearly amount of the rent is applied in coals, which are distributed among poor widows and other poor. - The Commissioners reported, that it was not known that there existed any deeds or writings by which the acquisition of this property, or the trusts to which it was subject, could be ascertained, except that they had been supplied with a copy of the counterpart of a deed, dated 30th December 1699, which recited, that Sir Joseph Aske, bart., had by codicil, dated 12th April 1686, given £50 to the poor of Wawne ; and that, in satisfaction thereof, Dame Mary Aske, widow, had agreed to convey the close thereinafter-mentioned to trustees therein named, to be distributed amongst the poor, and upon trust that when two only of the trustees should be surviving, they should transfer the said close to the use of themselves and four others of the inhabitants, who should then be churchwardens and overseers of the poor, and their heirs ; and the like to be done, as occasion should be, for ever, so that the premises might continue vested in a competent number of trustees, of which number the churchwarden and overseer and the steward of the manor of Wawne for the time being to be part. -Vide 9th Report, page 782.

Post town: Beverley.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 495. Abp. Sharp's MS.,vol. ii. page 185. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wagene), pages 58. 177 ; (Melse), 177. Burton's Monasticon, pages 300. 386. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 388. Frost's History of Hull, pages 4, &c. Oliver's Beverley, page 534. Tickell's Hull, page 172.


Notes:
*1 Partly within the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 Viz. Meaux, 83; and Wawne, 255. -In 1834, the population was returned at 388.


Other information:
MEAUX, or MELSA. - A Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1136 or 1150 by William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle, and contained from thirty-six to fifty monks. It was valued, at the Dissolution, at £299. 6s. 4d. per annum. No part of the Abbey is now remaining, but the site may be readily traced by the foundations of buildings and extensive moats.

Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Melse), page 177.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.