WAWNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WAWNE, (or WAGHEN), a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, but chiefly in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding £f the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Meux and Waghen, and containing 325 inhabitants, of which number, 251 are in the township of Waghen, 5 miles E.S.E. from Beverley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Chancellor of the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £7. 0. 10., and endowed with £200 royal bounty. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is partly in the decorated style, with a tower of later date: there are three stalls in the chancel."
"MEUX, a township in the parish of WAWNE, or WAWN, middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E. from Beverley, containing 74 inhabitants. A Cistercian abbey was founded here, in 1150, by William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle, and dedicated to the Virgin; the establishment consisted of fifty monks, whose revenue, at the dissolution, amounted to £445. 10. 5."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]