WAWNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"WAWNE, a parish in the E.R. of Yorkshire."
"MEAUX, in the parish of Wawne, in the E.R. of Yorkshire, (given as "MEUX"), on the E. side of Beverley, in a very healthful situation, had, after the Conquest, a colony from a T. of that name in Normandy, bel. to the Earl of Almarle and Holderness, and had a park and an abbey founded by him, where the monks at first earned their bread with the sweat of their brows, but were not long after plentifully endowed by the Earl, &c. with lands and revenues."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]