WAWNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WAWNE, a parish in the middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Beverley, its post town, and 6 N. of Hull. The village is situated near the river Hull. The parish includes the townships of Meaux, or Melsa, and Waghen, or Wawn. The soil is chiefly loamy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, realised from land. A crucifix, hawk's bell, and other curiosities have been discovered here."
"MEAUX, (or Melsa), a township in the parish of Wawne, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Hull, and 3 E. of Beverley. The township derives its name from the settlers from Meaux in Normandy. There are traces of a Cistercian priory, founded by William-le-Gros in 1150, and valued at the Dissolution at £299. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The land is fertile. There are places of worship for the Independents and Methodists."
"WAGHEN, a township in the parish of Wawne, middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Beverley."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013