[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WEAVERTHORPE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 12 miles E. of Malton. The living of the parish church (see Churches for photograph) is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of York, and the Rev. Rd. Forrest is the vicar. Pop. 334."
"DOTTEREL COTTAGE, a farm house in the township and parish of Weaverthorpe; ½ mile WNW. of Weaverthorpe, 4½ miles from Sledmere."
"EAST LUTTON, in the parish of Weaverthorpe, wapentake of Buckrose, & liberty of St. Peter's; 1¾ miles WSW. of Weaverthorpe, 11 miles E. of Malton."
"WEST LUTTON, in the parish of Weaverthorpe, wapentake of Buckrose, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles WSW. of Weaverthorpe, 10 miles E. of Malton. Population, including East Lutton together with which it forms Luttons Ambo, 311."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Andrew's Church, Weaverthorpe.
- St. Andrew's Church (showing the Lyche Gate), Weaverthorpe.
- Wolds Valley Methodist Chapel, Weaverthorpe.
- St. Mary's Church, West Lutton.
- St. Mary's Church (showing the Lyche Gate), West Lutton.
- The former Methodist Chapel, West Lutton, now a private residence (2006).
- The former Methodist Chapel, West Lutton, now a private residence (2009).
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Weaverthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Weaverthorpe to another place.
- In 1875, the township of West Lutton and the hamlet of East Lutton (already physically detached from this parish) together formed the parish of Luttons Ambo.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE966708 (Lat/Lon: 54.123994, -0.523397), Weaverthorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1918 War Memorial in the middle of the village.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE933709) Haverdale House
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish