The Ancient Parish of WELTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WELTON, a parish in the wapentake of Howdenshire; 4 miles SE. of South Cave, and 10 miles S. of Beverley. There is here an ancient church, with a tower in the centre (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Helen, of which the King is the patron, & the Rev. H. W. Champney the vicar. There is also a Methodist chapel. The church contains an effigy of a Knight Templar, which carries its antiquity beyond 1327, when that order was dissolved, and it is supposed to have been built by William Rufus, who succeeded William the Conqueror in 1088. Pop. 576."
"MELTON, in the parish of Welton, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; ¾ mile ESE. of Welton, 4 miles SSE. of South Cave. A pleasant and handsome village and although situated without the limits of the county of Kingston upon Hull, is the favourite residence of some of the gentlemen of that opulent town. Population including Melton-hill, 107.
Of this Place was William de Melton, the forty-second Archbishop of York. He was elected Archbishop in 1315, and died at Cawood, in 1340. --Drake."
"MELTON HILL, in the township of Melton, and parish of Welton; (the seat of John Wilson, Esq,); 1 mile ESE. of Welton, 5½ miles from South-Cave, 9½, from Hull and Beverley."
- Transcript of the entry for Welton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Welton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Welton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE959274 (Lat/Lon: 53.734183, -0.547705), Welton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish