The Ancient Parish of WELWICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WELWICK, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles SE. of Patrington, is a small village, pleasantly situated on the high road from Patrington to Spurn Head. The church is a very ancient Gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Mary, of which the King is the patron, and the Rev. C. C. Chambers the vicar. This church contains the ruins of an antique monument, supposed to have been removed from Burstall Abbey, and though it is now in a state of dilapidation, it has a grand and imposing appearance to the searching eye of the antiquarian: it is supposed by some to have been erected in memory of John de Fortibus, by others, William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle; but time has obliterated any positive conclusion on this point. There is a small Friends Meeting house, also a Methodist chapel. Pop. including Thorpe Plewland and Weeton, 410."
"PEASTHORPE, in the parish of Welwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile SSE. of Patrington."
"PLOUGHLAND, in the parish of Welwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness, 1 mile SSE. of Patrington."
"WEETON, in the parish of Welwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; ¾ mile SE. of Welwick, 3 miles SE. of Patrington; a small hamlet, chiefly inhabited by farmers. Pop. included with Welwick."
"WELWICKTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Welwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile WNW. of Welwick, 1 mile SE. of Patrington."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 260 gravestones at Welwick with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Welwick (view 1).
- St. Mary's Church, Welwick (view 2).
- An old photo of St. Mary's Church, Welwick.
- The former Methodist Church, Welwick.
- The former Methodist Church, Welwick, being converted into the village hall (2001).
- Transcript of the entry for Welwick in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Welwick.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Welwick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA344210 (Lat/Lon: 53.668206, 0.032807), Welwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial for World Wars I and II and Roll of Honour, at Welwick.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish