The Ancient Parish of WEST HESLERTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WEST HESLERTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 9 miles ENE. of Malton. The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is in the patronage of the King. Pop. 273."
"EAST HESLERTON, in the parish of West Heslerton, & wapentake of Buckrose; 1 mile ENE. of West Heslerton, 10 miles ENE. of Malton, Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), & a Methodist chapel. Pop. 196."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, West Heslerton.
- St. Andrew's Church, East Heslerton (view 1).
- St. Andrew's Church, East Heslerton (view 2).
- The former Methodist chapel, East Heslerton. This chapel was enlarged in 1840, and converted to a house in 1989.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Heslerton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE912759 (Lat/Lon: 54.170801, -0.604456), West Heslerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish