Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WEST HESLERTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 6,170 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 514 *3; Church-room, 170 *4 ; Net value, £465. -This Church, with half a carucate of land and a house, together with the Chapel of East Heslerton, was given by Walter Ingelram to the Priory of Gisburne, in free alms, and confirmed to it by the charter of King Henry III., and was a Rectory of their patronage until it came to the Crown at the Dissolution, and the patronage is now exercised by the prime minister.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £13. 6s. 8d., and in his new taxation at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books at £21. 6s. 8d. Synodals and Procurations 13s. 6d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 429, it is stated: " The parsonage is worth yearly £50, whereof £10 issueth from the lordship of Yeddingham, which we conceive ought to be added to the Vicarage of Yeddingham."
An Inclosure Act was passed 10th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1561.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS., page 813. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 129. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Esrelton,) pages 123. 203. 224, 225. Burton's Monasticon, page 346.
*3 Viz. East Heslerton 215, and West Heslerton 299.
*4 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 350.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.