Hide

WEST HESLERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WEST HESLERTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding of county York, 9 miles N.E. of New Malton, and 1½ mile from the station on the Malton and Scarborough railway. It is a small agricultural parish, and contains the townships of East and West Heslerton. The tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of East Heslerton annexed, value £465, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, with a turret containing two bells. The interior of the church contains a font of Caen stone, and an oaken canopy presented in 1855 by Lord Downe; there are some marble tablets of the Foulis family, also a marble monument of Sir Christopher Sykes, Bart. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by voluntary contributions, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship. Heslerton House is the principal residence. Viscount Downe is lord of the manor."


"EAST HESLERTON, a township in the parish of West Heslerton, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Sherburn station, and 10 N. E. of Malton, its post town. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of West Heslerton, in the diocese of York, The chapel-of-ease is a small ancient structure, with a turret and bell. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., is lord of the manor, and principal landowner. A new burial-ground has recently been formed."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013