The Ancient Parish of WESTOW
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WESTOW, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 6 miles S. of Malton. the parish church (see Churches for photograph) is in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and the Rev. Robert Aflieck is the vicar. There is here also a Methodist chapel and a school, in which the interest of £50. left by Mrs. Sagars, serves to educate three children. Population 423."
"EDDLETHORPE, in the parish of Westow, and wapentake of Buckrose; 2 miles ENE. of Westow, 4 miles S. of Malton. Pop. 62."
"FIRBY, in the parish of Westow, and wapentake of Buckrose; (the seat of the Rev. Thomas Harrison,); 1 mile NW. of Westow, 6 miles SSW. of Malton. Pop. 44."
"MENETHORPE, in the parish of Westow, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1¾ miles NNE. of Westow, 3 miles S. of Malton. Pop. 131."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 280 gravestones and plaques at Westow with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Westow in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Westow.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Westow to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE754653 (Lat/Lon: 54.078114, -0.84907), Westow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial at Westow.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish