[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WETWANG, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, & liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles W. of Driffield. Exclusive of the parish church, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), . of which the Rev. Rowland Croxton is the vicar, and the Prebendary of Wetwang the patron; there is a chapel for the Methodists. This village, in which Thomas Wilberfoss, Esq. resides, is principally occupied by farmers and their labourers. Population, 422."
"FIMBER, in the parish of Wetwang, wapentake of Buckrose, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2½ miles WNW. of Wetwang, 9 miles WNW. of Driffield. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), of which the rector of Wetwang is incumbent curate. Pop. 104."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wetwang.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wetwang to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE933591 (Lat/Lon: 54.019481, -0.577472), Wetwang which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: