Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WETWANG.     Church dedication: ST. MICHAEL.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 5,740 acres. Buckrose wapentake *1. -Population, 621 *2; Church-room, sufficient *3; Net value, £220. -The manor anciently belonged to the see of York, but was given to the Crown 26th Henry VIII. The Prebendary is Rector and patron, and hath jurisdiction ; and Edwin Sandys, son of the Archbishop, settled an augmentation of £22 per annum. out of the Prebend, 24th May, 44th Eliz., to which the Church had been appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 3rd Henry III.

Valued in the King's books, at £9. 7s. 8d. per annum : and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 436, and vol. xviii. page 61, it is stated : " The Rectory and tythes belong to Colonel Sandyes, and are worth yearly £140. The Vicarage worth yearly £9. 10s., and Colonel Sandyes pays yearly to Mr. Thomas Wayte, an able preaching minister, £24. 13s. 4d."

9th February 1810, faculty to re-pew and improve the Church.

An Inclosure Act was passed 43rd Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, on account of " its smallness ;" and in 1834 the return was, " No glebe house."

The Register Books commence in 1653. Entries of marriages wanting for 1742, 1744, and 1745.

Charity:
Lost charity. There appears to have been a sum of £10 or £12 formerly in the hands of the overseers of the poor for the time being, the interest of which used to be distributed amongst poor persons ; but the Commissioners understood that the money was lost several years ago through the insolvency of one of the overseers, and nothing has been since distributed. -Vide 10th Report, page 653.

Post town: Driffield.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1071. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 133. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wetwangha), page 47.


Notes:
*1 Partly within the jurisdiction of St. Peter of York.

*2 Viz. Fimber, 139; and Wetwang, 482. -In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at 440.

*3 As returned in 1834 ; viz., for the Population, 440. In 1818, the return was from 20 to 30.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.