WETWANG: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WETWANG, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, and partly in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Fimber, and the township of Wetwang, and containing 526 inhabitants, of which number, 422 are in the township of Wetwang, 5 miles N.W. from Great Driffield. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Wetwang in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £9.7.8. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
"FIMBER, a chapelry in the parish of WETWANG, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, and partly in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from Great Driffield, containing 104 inhabitants. This chapelry is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebendary of Wetwang in the Cathedral Church of York."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]