Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WHARRAM LE STREET. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 2080 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 150; Church-room, 80 *1; Net value, £125. -William de Aguillon, temp. Henry III., gave to the fabric of the Church of York in pure alms two oxgangs of land in East Wharram.
The Church was given by Robert Fossard to the Priory of Nostell, and which was held by the Prior as parcel of the Prebend of Bramham, to which Prebend it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein. No ordination is given by Torre. Torre's first Vicar was instituted before 1349.
Patron and impropriator, Lord Middleton.
Valued in the King's books, at £6, in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 419, at £16; and in 1818, at £70 per annum.
Augmented in 1773, with £200; and in 1788, with £200, both by lot.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " only a cottage." In 1834, the return was, " No glebe house."
The Register Books commence in 1538. Deficient for 1697, 1698, 1699, 1700, and 1701.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 903. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page. 134. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Warran), pages 32. 83. 224. Burton's Monasticon, page 309.
*1 In 1818, returned sufficient for the then Population of 100.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.