WHARRAM LE STREET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WHARRAM LE STREET, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of New Malton, and 1½ mile from the Wharram station on the Malton and Driffield railway. They are situated on the Wolds, near Wade's Causeway, and comprise the townships of Raisthorpe, Thixendale, and Towthorpe. The village consists of several farmhouses. The living of the former is a vicarage, value £125, and of the latter a perpetual curacy, value £60, in the diocese of York. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor and owner of the land."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013