WHARRAM LE STREET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Settrington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Buckrose. - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish and township contains, according to the Ordnance Survey, 2,071 acres, whereof 1,915 are under assessment. The rateable value is £1,852, and the population in 1891 was 133. The soil is sandy, and the chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and turnips. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The Rivis Trustees have some land here, and the vicar has a few acres of glebe. The Roman road or street passed through Wharram, and hence the addendum to its name.
The village is situated on the Malton and Beverley road, about six-and-a-half miles south-east of the former town, and half-a-mile from Wharram station, on the Malton and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a western tower. The font is ancient, and probably belongs to the Norman period. The church was restored about 30 years ago, at the expense of Lord Middleton. The living is a vicarage, united, since 1833, to the vicarage of Wharram Percy; joint gross value £260, including 49 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Middleton, and held by the Rev. William Gwillim Chilman, of St. Bees. The Vicarage House, built in 1886, stands near the church, in Wharram-le-Street.
The National School, with teacher's residence, was erected by the late Lord Middleton in 1871, for the accommodation of 60 children. It is mixed, and under the charge of a mistress. Lord Middleton subscribes annually towards its support.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.