Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WHARRAM PERCY. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN. Church type: Discharged Vicarage *1.
Area, 8,480 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 330 *2; Church-room, 100 *3 ; Net value, £60. -Robert de Percy was patron of this Church ; from the Percies it came to the Lords Scrope, and afterwards to the Lords Wake, one of whom, Thomas, Lord Wake, gave it in 1325 to the Priory of Haltenprice, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1327, and in 1440 there was a moderation made in the endowment *4, which was confirmed in 1441. In 1618 Sir Timothy Hutton presented, and in 1668 Sir John Buck, Knight, presented, in whose family it continued ; and in 1787 the two sisters and co-heiresses of Sir Charles Buck presented.
Lord Middleton is the present patron and impropriator.
In 1327, a Chapel was founded in this Church by Sir Geoffrey le Scrope, Knight.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £26. 13s. 4d.; in the new taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Vicarage, £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage at £11. 13s. 4d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 418, at £20; and the Commissioners recommended the parish " to be united to Wharram in the Street, Towthorpe and Burdall to be united to Fimber, and made a parish, Raisthorpe to be united to Fridaythorpe, and Thixendale to be united to Kirkby Underdale."
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " being a small cottage covered with thatch ;" and returned " unfit" in 1834.
The Register books commence in 1554. There are some chasms.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Sledmere.
Torre's MS., page 783. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 119. Burton's Monasticon, pages 309. 316. 317.
*1 Torre says, there was a Vicar till 7th Id. June 1301, when Archbishop Corbridge consolidated it with the Rectory.
*2 Viz. Raisthorpe and Birdall, 45 ; Thixendale, 207 ; Towthorpe, 48 ; and Wharram Percy, 30. In 1834, the Population was returned at 319.
*3 In 1818 estimated at 150.
*4 It would appear, from the endowment, that there were anciently Chapels at Raisthorpe and Thixendale.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.