Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WILBERFOSS.     Church dedication: SAINT JOHN BAPTIST.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 2,870 acres. Harthill wapentake. Wilton Beacon. Population, 580 *1 ; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £67. -In the town of Wilberfoss, of the fee of Percy, are six carucates of land, whereof Thomas de Burdon held twenty oxgangs, out of which the Church is endowed with three oxgangs.

And Robert, son of Simon de Wilberfoss, held three oxgangs.

Also Lecia de Wilberfoss two other oxgangs, in name of her son John, then her ward.

And Constantia, late wife of Alexander de Burdon, held in dower two oxgangs.

The residue were held of Philip de Kyme, who held them of Percy.

The Prior of Watre held half a carucate of land.

And the Prioress of Wilberfoss two oxgangs, and three more in frankalmoigne.

And Peter de Rutherfeld held in demesne, by his tenants in fee, eight oxgangs, whereof the Church was endowed with three oxgangs more.

The Church, with seven oxgangs of land belonging to it, as also the Chapel of Newton, in the same parish, were, by Jordan Fitz Gilbert, given to the Prioress and Nuns of Wilberfoss, and to them appropriated by Walter Gray, A.D. 1234, without ordination of a Vicar, and bath ever since been served by stipendiary Curates.

The presentation appears to be in the Earl of Egremont and others. -Vide presentations in 1718, 1723, 1752, and 1759.

Patron, the Earl of Egremont. Impropriators, the Earl of Egremont and others.

Valued in 1707, at £12; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 391, it is stated : " No minister. £10 paid out of the tithes ;" -and in 1818, at £42 per annum.

Augmented in 1764, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant ; and in 1819, with £1,200 from the same grant -all by lot.

" Wilberfoss, or Wild Boar Foss, is near the river Darwent, and three miles from Bugthorpe. The tithe-owners only pay the Curate £12 a year." Signed, " Thos. Watson, Curate." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1222.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1618. There is a chasm from 1666 to 1677 inclusive.

Charities:
William Clark's dole, by will (date not mentioned). rent charge of 10s. per annum, applied as follows :3s. on Christmas-day ; 3s. on Easter-day; 3s. at Whitsuntide; and 1s. in bread, on the sixteenth Sunday after Trinity, to the poor of Newton and Wilberfoss.

TOWNSHIP OF WILBERFOSS.

Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum to the poor.

TOWNSHIP OF NEWTON UPON DERWENT.

Poor's and Church Land. The former consists of 9a. 2r. 16p. of land and a house, and the latter of 11a. 0r. 24p. The rents of the poor's land (which was bought with a legacy of £40, left by the will of John Horsley, dated 22nd June 1719) is distributed among the poor, and the rent of the Church land is employed in the reparation of the Church.

Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. to the poor of the township. - Vide 11th Report, page 746.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1175. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 30. Mon. Angl., vol. iv. page 354.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Newton upon Derwent, 228 ; and Wilberfoss, 352. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 557. The township of Newton upon Derwent has experienced a decrease of Population (33 persons), attributed to the depression of agriculture.

*2 In 1818, the return was 500.


Other information:
THE PRIORY, founded before 1153 for Benedictine Nuns by Alan de Catton.

Burton's Monasticon, page 56.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.