Hide

WILBERFOSS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WILBERFOSS, a parish in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Newton upon Derwent and Wilberfoss, and containing 590 inhabitants, of which number, 385 are in the township of Wilberfoss, 5 miles W.N.W. from Pocldington. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W. Wilberforce, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A Benedictine nunnery, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Maryj was founded here, before 1153, by Alan de Catton, which at the dissolution had a revenue of £28. 8. 8."


"NEWTON UPON DERWENT, a township in the parish of WILBERFOSS, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W. from Pocklington, containing 205 inhabitants. There is a place of worship forWesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]