WILBERFOSS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WILBERFOSS, a parish in the Wilton Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 4½ miles N.W. of Pocklington, and 8 E. of York. The village is situated on the road from York to Hull, and on a small stream falling into the Derwent. The parish includes the township and village of Newton-upon-Derwent, and is situated on the eastern acclivity of the vale of the navigable river Derwent. This place gives name to the family of Wilberforce, who were seated here till 1710, when their ancient mansion and estate were sold. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here by Alan de Catton in the middle of the 12th century, and was valued at the Dissolution at £28 8s. 8d., and the site given in 1554 to G. Gale. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £70. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, contains the effigies of Sir Robert Hoton and his lady, of the 15th century, an antique font, and an old register. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there is a village school supported by children's payments. The charities produce about £25 per annum. Colonel Wyndham is lord of the manor of Wilberfoss and Catton."
"NEWTON UPON DERWENT, a township in the parish of Wilberfoss, Wilton-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles from Pocklington. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Derwent, and is wholly agricultural. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013