The Ancient Parish of WILLERBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WILLERBY, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 6 miles W. of Hunmanby. The church (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. Arthur Jaques is the vicar, is dedicated to St. Peter, and the King is the patron of the living. Pop. 34."
"BINNINGTON, in the parish of Willerby, and wapentake of Dickering; ¾ mile WSW. of Willerby, 7 W. of Hunmanby. Pop. 50."
"SPITAL HOUSE, in the township of Staxton, and parish of Willerby; 1 mile ENE. of Willerby, 8 miles from Scarborough, 11 from Bridlington.
A few years ago, when removing some earth adjoining this house, a large quantity of human bones appeared. It formerly belonged to the Priory of Bridlington."
"SPITTAL HOUSE, in the parish of Willerby, and wapentake of Dickering; 1 mile E. of Willerby, 8 miles S. of Scarborough."
"STAXTON, in the parish of Willerby, and wapentake of Dickering; ½ mile E. of Willerby, 5 miles WNW. of Hunmanby. Pop. 213."
- Photographs of over 270 gravestones at Willerby Parish Church with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Willerby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Willerby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Willerby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA007791 (Lat/Lon: 54.197777, -0.457917), Willerby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish