The Ancient Parish of WINESTEAD
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WINESTEAD, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1½ mile NW. of Patrington, a small pleasant village surrounded by a variety of beautiful picturesque scenery. There are two elegant halls, which may rank, for pleasantness and neatness of structure, with many or the noble villas in England. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a low Gothic structure, surrounded by lofty trees, that give it an air of deep solemnity, there is in the interior a stone monument, representing the late Sir Robert Hildyard, laying in armour, the monument stands in an unusual part of the church, being placed immediately before the pulpit." (There is further information for Winestead).
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 120 gravestones at Winestead with linked surname index.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Winestead.
- The List of the Incumbents at St. German's Church, Winestead.
- Colin Hinson has transcribed the following:
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Winestead to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA300246 (Lat/Lon: 53.701655, -0.032241), Winestead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish