Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WINESTEAD. Church dedication: ST. GERMAIN. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 2,570 acres. Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 145 ; Church-room, 100; Net value, £247. -The town of Winestead was held by Robert de Hylton of the Archbishop of york, by half a knight's fee.
The Church was of the patronage of the Hiltons for many generations, and from them descended to the Hildyards *1
Present patroness, Dame A. C. Hildyard.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £8; in the King's books, at £12 per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, 9s. 6d.; Church of Beverley, 30s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 261, it is stated : " Glebe, £10; tithes, £70."
A Chantry is named in the Valor Ecc.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1578.
The Town Stock. This consists of a sum of £20, £5 whereof was the gift of a Mrs. Hildyard, and the residue of some person unknown. It has for a long period been held by the successive overseers of the poor, at interest of £1 per annum, the interest being, during such time, distributed amongst widows and others most necessitous. - The Commissioners reported, that apprehensions were then entertained that the whole or great part of the money would be lost. -Vide 9th Report, page 783.
Post town: Pattrington.
Torre's MS., page 1561. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 152. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wifestad), page 175. Thompson's Swine, 259.
*1 " 16th April 1614, Andrew Marvell, Clerk, was instituted, and resigned 1624." -Torre's MS.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.