[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WINTRINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 7 miles ENE. of Malton The church is dedicated to St. Peter (see Churches for photograph); the Rev. L. Grainger, Dean, is the curate, and the patronage is in the Strickland family. Pop. including Newton and Linton, 326.
This Church was given by Eustace Fitz-John to his Priory at Malton; the Impropriator pays the curate 6s. 8d. per Sunday."
"EAST KNAPTON, in the parish of Wintringham, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1½ miles N. of Wintringham, 7 miles NE. of Malton. For details see Knapton (below)."
"KNAPTON, (East and West), in the parish of Wintringham, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1½ miles NNW. of Wintringham, 7 miles NE. of Malton. The river Derwent at this place is navigable for small vessels. Population, 206."
"LINTON, in the parish of Wintringham, and wapentake of Buckrose; 2¼ miles SE. of Wintringham, 10 miles E. of Malton."
"LINTON GRANGE, in the parish of Wintringham, and wapentake of Buckrose 11 miles E. of Malton."
"PLACE NEWTON, in the parish of Wintringham, wapentake of Buckrose; (a seat of George Strickland, Esq.); ½ mile SSE. of Wintringham, 8 miles E. of Malton."
"WEST KNAPTON, in the parish of Wintringham, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1½ miles NNW. of Wintringham, 7 miles NE. of Malton. For details see Knapton (above)."
- Photographs of over 180 gravestones in Wintringham Churchyard with a surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wintringham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE885733 (Lat/Lon: 54.147912, -0.646565), Wintringham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE884705) Newton South Wold House
- (SE896705) Rayslack House
- (SE917716) Rookdale
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish