Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KNAPTON.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.

Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 242, vide Winteringham *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, £48.

Patron, John Tindall, Esq., as lord of the manor. -Vide presentations in 1715, 1719, 1790, and 1794.

Knapton was part of the fee of Ralph de Mortimer. Here Eddive had six carucates of land.

Two carucates of land in Knapton were, by one Orleman, given to the Abbey of St. Mary at York. It is not, however, clear whether the grant was of land in this town, or at Knapton, near Acomb.

The Parliamentary Commissioners say " It is desired by the inhabitants of Knapton that the Chapel may be made a parish Church." -Vol. xvii. page 426.

Valued in 1707 at £6.

Augmented in 1742, with £200; in 1770, with £200; in 1789, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant ; in 1828, with £200; and in 1832, with £200 -all by lot.

No glebe house.

Register Books, vide Winteringham. There is a register of marriages from 1760 to 1812.

Charity:
Lutton's gift. Interest of £40 left for the poor, placed at interest in a bank, which suspended payment in 1820. No dividend on the debt had been received at the time of the Report. -Vide 9th Report, page 720.

Post town: Malton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 845. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 125. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cnapeton), page 186.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was stated to be 235.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.