Hide

WINTRINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WINTRINGHAM, a parish, and township in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of New Malton, and 3 from Rillington railway station. The parish includes the chapelry of Knapton, where is a station on the York and Scarborough section of the North Eastern railway; the farm called Linton, where was a monastic cell belonging to the monks of Scarborough; and Newton Park, the demesne of Sir George Strickland, Bart., who is lord of the manor. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains an E. window, part of a carved screen, an open oak roof, piscina, sedilia, and various old monuments. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Knapton, a small ancient edifice, with bell turret. There are village schools at Wintringham and Knapton, the latter supported by the Tindall family."


"KNAPTON, a township in the parish of Wintringham, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Malton, its post town. It is situated near the navigable river Derwent, and has a station on the Scarborough and Malton railway. The township is well wooded. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £48. The church is an ancient edifice, with a turret containing 1 bell. The Tindall family supports a school for the township. The Wesleyans and the Society of Friends have places of worship."


"LINTON GRANGE, a village in the township and parish of Wintringham, East Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of New Malton."


"NEWTON HALL, a hamlet in the parish of Wintringham, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 6 miles E. by N. of New Malton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013