Hide

WINTRINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

hide
Hide
Hide

Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Rillington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaeonry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

Wintringham is a parish and township containing 5,340 acres, belonging chiefly to A. J. Cholmley, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. It stretches from the Derwent, southward, embracing a portion of the Wolds, and is watered by numerous small streams. The soil in the valley of the Derwent is of a sandy nature, but in the high grounds, towards the south, a chalky soil prevails. Wheat, barley, oats, and turnips, are the principal crops. There are 5,184 acres of land under assessment, the rateable value of which is £4,840 ; the number of inhabitants in 1881, was 324, and in 1891, 307.

The village stands six miles east of Malton, and three miles south-east of Rillington station, on the Malton and Whitby branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is a flue stone edifice in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and western embattled tower, surmounted by a handsome octagonal spire. The tower belongs to the Decorated period, and exhibits much excellent carved work, heads, shields, &c. The aisles are divided from the nave by arcades of pointed arches resting on circular pillars. At the east end of each aisle is a chapel, formerly a chantry, partitioned off by a beautiful screen of carved oak. The south chapel retains its stone altar and ancient piscina, and in the east wall is a very beautiful canopied niche in which once stood the statue of some saint. The oak screen of this chapel is a piece of the original woodwork; the old screen of the north chapel has been replaced by a new one. The window in the east wall of each aisle is filled with stained glass; that in the south chapel contains a good deal of old glass taken from the other windows, which still retain a few fragments of the ancient stained glass. The church is now undergoing restoration at the expense of the patron. The nave and chancel have been re-roofed with English oak; a new oak screen will take the place of the old one separating the chancel and nave, and the former will be furnished with new stalls of oak. The register dates from 1561. The church is a donative without endowment, in the patronage of A. J. Cholmley, Esq., and held by the Rev. George Alexander Greenside, M.A., of Durham University, who is also rector of, and resides at Thorpe Bassett.

This church formerly belonged to the prior and canons of Malton, to whom it was given by Eustace Fitz-John, in the year 1150. His grant also included his "lean house in the western part of the aforesaid church, and two mill houses in the same village, with all their appurtenances, in tithes, and in lands, and in pasturage, and in mill houses, and in right of water - in marsh land - and in the commons, and in the moors, and in all other things and liberties which, from ancient times, belonged, or were given, to the church of Wintringham."

There is a Wesleyan chapel in the village. It is a small and very plain brick building, erected in 1834.

The school, built many years ago, was thoroughly restored in 1890, by A. J. Cholmley, Esq., by whom also it is chiefly supported. It is mixed, under the care of a mistress, and attended on an average by 30 children.

A reading room, for the benefit of the villagers, was built by the above gentleman in 1866, who also defrays the greater part of current expenses. There is a good collection of books, and many daily and weekly papers are provided.

PLACE NEWTON, or as formerly known, Newton House, the property and residence of Alfred John Cholmley, Esq., B.A., J.P., stands near the village in a well wooded park of 180 acres. It is intersected by a small stream which expands into a fine sheet of water.

On the hills above the village are the remains of an entrenchment of the ancient Britons and a tumulus, and at Wintringham Wold is the base of an ancient wayside cross.

LINTON is a hamlet in this parish, comprising one large farm (433 acres), belonging to Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., of Sledmere. It is situated about three miles east of Wintringham. "Linton, with all its appurtenances both in fields and pasturage, as well as in all other things," was included in Eustace Fitz-John's grant to Malton Priory. It is said by some writers that the monks of Scarborough had a cell here, but no authority is given for such an assertion. The canons of Malton would, undoubtedly, have a grange here, in which one or more of the brothers would occasionally reside; but it is not at all probable that there was another monastic institution within the limited area.

The poor of Wintringham have the dividends of £150, three per cent. consolidated bank annuities, purchased with £71 10s. 9d. left by Sir William Strickland, in 1736, and four other donors. They have also the interest of £2 9s. 3d.

KNAPTON CHAPELRY. In the Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Rillington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - -Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

Knapton is a township and chapelry in the parish of Wintringham, containing 2,890 acres, situated on the south bank of the river Derwent. The soil is clay and sand, the subsoil chiefly sand, and the principal crops are wheat, barley, oats, and potatoes. The estate formerly belonged to the Moorsoms of Scarborough, from whom it was purchased by the Tindalls, and it still remains in the possession of this family. The extent of land under assessment is returned at 2,689 acres, of which the rateable value is £3,632. The population in 1881 was 246, and in 1891, 221.

The village of Knapton (that is Hill town, from Cnaep, Saxon, a knob or protuberance, and ton, a town), is situated about seven miles north-east of Malton, and a quarter of a mile from the station of its own name, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North Eastern Railway. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, is an ancient building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, baptistery, and western bell turret containing two bells. It had formerly a nave only; the chancel, north aisle, baptistery, and vestry were added and the interior decorated at the expense of James Tindall, Esq. All the windows are filled with stained glass; the roofs of the chancel and nave are richly decorated, the former displaying the shields of arms of the various English and Welsh sees. The floors are paved with Staffordshire tiles. There is a very beautifully carved font, and the oak pulpit is also worthy of the visitor's notice. In the chancel are several marble monuments to members of the Tindall family. The interior is fitted with open seats of pitchpine for 130 worshippers. The living is a new vicarage, yearly value £62, including 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of Edward Tindall, Esq., and held by the Rev. Joseph Henry Hutton, B.A., rector of West Heslerton. The appropriate rectorial tithe (£135), belongs to the Archbishop of York, the impropriate tithes amount to £132.

The Wesleyan Chapel, formerly used as a barn, will accommodate 130 persons. It is supported entirely by E. Tindall, Esq., to whom also the villagers are indebted for the support of a school.

KNAPTON HALL, the seat of Edward Tindall, Esq., owner of the whole parish and lord of the manor, is a brick structure, situated in a park of about 50 acres. The house was erected about 200 years ago.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.