The Ancient Parish of WITHERNWICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WITHERNWICK, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's; 8 miles N. of Hedon, 6 from Hornsea. The church (see Churches for photograph) of which the Prebendary of Abp. Holm, in York cathedral is the patron, is a low ancient structure, dedicated to St. Alban, the Rev. George Kelly, is the vicar, and the Rev. William Craven, the curate. Pop. 370."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Withernwick in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Withernwick Village website - lots of interesting information about the village and its people.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Withernwick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA195406 (Lat/Lon: 53.847897, -0.185012), Withernwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish