[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WRESSLE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles NW. of Howden. The church dedicated to St. John of Beverley, is a very ancient building (see Churches for photograph), in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont." (There is further information for Wressle).
"BRIND, (or Bourne) in the township of Newsham-with-Brind, and parish of Wressle, Holme Beacon division of Harthill; 2 miles E. of Wressle, 2½ miles N. of Howden, 9 from Selby, 12 from Market-Weighton. --Pop. included in Wressle."
"LOFTSOME, (and Loftsome Bridge), in the parish of Wressle, wapentake of Harthill; ¾ mile S. of Wressle, 3 miles NW. of Howden, situated near the Derwent, over which it has a wooden bridge constructed so as to admit the passage of vessels."
"NEWSHOLME WITH BRIND, in the parish of Wressle, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¼ miles SSE. of Wressle, 3 miles NW. of Howden. Pop. 177."
"PRICKETT HILL, a farm house in the parish of Wressle, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¾ miles ESE. of Wressle, 2 miles NW. of Howden."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Wressle in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wressle.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wressle to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE710315 (Lat/Lon: 53.775006, -0.924144), Wressle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish