YEDINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Rillington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish and township lies on the south bank of the river Derwent which here divides the North and East Ridings, and is spanned by a good stone 'bridge of four arches, built in 1731. The total acreage, including the portion of the township lying within the parish of West Heslerton, is 1150, and the rateable value £922. The population in 1891 was 140. The estimated area in the overseer's returns is 550 acres. The manorial rights are held by Francis Joseph Coltman, Esq., and another; and F. J. and W. B. Coltman, Esqrs., Henry Abbey, Esq., Samuel H. Loy, Esq., F. Baker, Miss Marshall, Mr. James Wildon, and the vicar of the parish (in right of his church) are the principal landowners. The soil is loam and (near the river) marshy, the subsoil gravel, sand, and clay; and the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and grass.
In or before the year 1163, Helewysa de Clere founded a Priory here, for nine nuns of the Benedictine Order, and Roger de Clere, husband of the foundress, endowed it with all his land here, called Parvo Marisco or Little Mareis - in modern English, Little Marsh. Other benefactors enriched them with lands in Marton, Rillington, Wilton, &c., and Anketin de Heslarton gave to them the church of Yedingham. The priory was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and flourished till the dissolution of monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII. Its annual revenues, according to Speed's valuation, amounted to £26 6s. 8d., an income that would not permit the nuns to live very luxuriously, even though we take into account the greater purchasing power of money in those days. The site was granted to Robert Holgate, Bishop of Llandaff, and afterwards Archbishop of York, a subservient tool of Henry VIII., who paid for his elevation to the archbishopric by transferring to the king 67 manors belonging to the archiepiscopal see, for the sorry exchange of 33 impropriations and advowsons. The only remains of the priory buildings that still exist are a couple of arches, standing on the north side of the Derwent, in the parish of Ebberston.
The village of Yedingham, also spelt Yeddingham, is small, and stands on the Malton and Scarborough road, nine miles from the former place, and 13 from the latter. The nearest station is Heslerton one-and-a-quarter miles distant, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of St. Mary, anciently part of the priory, was consecrated by the Bishop of Whithern, suffragan of the Archbishop of York, in 1241, when a dispensation of 100 days relaxation from penance was granted to all who attended the ceremony. The building is small, chiefly in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, and western bell turret. It was restored by subscription in 1860. The chancel is repaired by the lessee of the great tithes, which belong to Old Malton school. It is divided from the nave by a Norman arch resting on cylindrical columns. In the south wall is a sedilia, and the aumbry remains in the north wall. The windows are of the lancet type, and filled with small diamond panes. Two windows of the nave are memorial. The font is Norman. There are 70 sittings. The registers date from 1717. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £5 4s. 2d., now worth about £205 nett, with residence, in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam, K.G., and held by the Rev. Richard Cleater Atkinson, M.A., St. John's College, Cambridge. The Hon. Eustace H. Dawnay, of The Grove, Witham, Essex, is the impropriator of the tithes. By act of parliament, in 1774, there was allotted to the vicar of Yedingham, 60 acres, 1 rood, 7 perches, of the East Field enclosure, in the township of Heslerton, and £12 18s. 7d. from old enclosures or homesteads, as the hay tithe composition on the oxgangs, and in lieu of modus or tithe on wool and lambs. There are 85 acres of glebe land lying within the parish of Yeedingham. The benefice is subject to the payment of 10s. 11d, for yearly tenths, but is not charged with first fruits, having been exempted from that payment by Act 1 Elizabeth, c. 4, sec. 29.
The school, built in 1837, for 38 children, is a low mean structure, which it is expected will shortly be replaced by a more suitable building.
The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1842. The interior is neatly furnished, and will seat about 100 persons. Behind the chapel is a Sunday School.
The land tax of the parish has been redeemed.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.