The Ancient Parish of ALDBOROUGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ALDBOROUGH, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, with townships in the North Riding."
"ELLENTHORPE, (or Ellingthorp), 2 farm houses in the parish of Aldborough, (WRY), wapentake of Halikeld; ¾ mile NE. of Aldborough, 1 mile E. of Boroughbridge. Adjoining the principal house is a Presbyterian-Chapel, liberally endowed by the family or ancestors of Lord Grantley."
"MILBY, in the parishes of Kirby Hill and Aldborough, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile NNW. of Aldborough, 1 mile N. of Boroughbridge. Before the conquest, the great north road lay through the city of Burgh, and crossed the Ure by a Wooden bridge, opposite to this village, some remains of which may yet be discerned when the water is low. This hamlet is separated from Boroughbridge by the river Ure. Pop. included with Hum Burton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Aldborough.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aldborough to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE406664 (Lat/Lon: 54.09191, -1.380761), Aldborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)