[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"AMPLEFORTH, a parish in the wapentakes of Rydale and Birdforth, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 4 miles SSW. of Helmsley. The church is dedicated to St. Hilda (see Churches for photograph). The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of York cathedral, incumbent the Rev. Anthony Germaine. Population in the parish of Ampleforth, wapentake of Birdforth, 192; in the wapentake of Rydale, 214; -total, 406."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Ampleforth in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Ampleforth web-site
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ampleforth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE584785 (Lat/Lon: 54.198938, -1.10631), Ampleforth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque in St. Hilda's Church, Ampleforth.