AMPLEFORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"AMPLEFORTH, (or Ampleford), a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, but chiefly hithe wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Ampleforth and Kirk-Oswald-quarter, and containing 582 inhabitants, of which number, 214 are in the township of Ampleforth, in. the last-named division of the county, 4 miles S.S.W. from Helmsley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Ampleforth in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 6. 5. The church is dedicated to St. Hilda. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]