Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: AMOTHERBY. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Rydall wapentake.. -Population, vide Appleton le Street *1; Church-Room, 280; Net value, vide Appleton le Street.
Patron, the Rev. James Jarvis Cleaver.
The Berewick of Amotherby belonged to the Manor of Hovingham, and Robert, held of Roger de Poictou, two carucates and a half.
This town contained seven carucates of land, held of the fee of Luterell, also four carucates and two oxgangs, held of the fee of Brus ; the mesne answering at Brocton.
Andrew Luterell held four carucates and two oxgangs (whereof eleven made a knight's fee), and the seven carucates of the fee of Brus (vel Bassett) made a knight's fee also, and rendered per annum 2s.
An Inclosure Act was passed 16th Geo. III.
No return as to glebe house.
Register Books. -No return.
Parochial Charities, vide Appleton le Street.
Post town: Malton.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 85. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Aimundrebi), pages 200. 235.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 702.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.