Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: APPLETON LE STREET. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Vicarage in charge.
Area, 4,780 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Popu-LATION, 860 *1 ; Church-room, 90; Net value, £515. -The town of Appleton le Street contains four carucates of land, which were held of the fee of Pagnell, whereof three were held by Robert de Boelton, and the Church is endowed of the other carucate.
Amunderby, vide Amotherby.
Newsum contains two carucates of land, which the heirs of Nicholas de Newsum held of the heirs of Brus by 20s. rent, and they of the King in capite by 4s.
It answered for the fourth part and a half of a knight's fee.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Abbey and Convent of St. Albans, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1358 ; and a new Ordination was made Id. 5 July 1368, by which the Vicar is charged with the repairs and rebuilding of the chancel.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, which presented till Archbishop Sharp's time, afterwards the Stricklands, Barts., presented until 1740, under a grant from King James I. In 1740, Hugh Cholmley, Esq., presented; in 1764, Mrs. Grace Thompson; and in 1800, John Cleaver, D.D. The present patron is the Rev. James Jarvis Cleaver.
Impropriators, F. Creswell, Esq., and others.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £50. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £24; Vicaria ejusdem, £5; and in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £7. 8s. 6d. per annum.
A Chantry was founded in this Church in 1346, by Sir Thomas de Bolton, Knight.
An Inclosure Act for Swinton was passed 14th Geo. III. A previous inclosure took place in 1728, as an approval of it is registered on the 27th August in that year.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1715. -Vide transcripts of earlier Registers at York.
At Broughton was an Hospital erected by the founders of Malton and Alnwick Monasteries, and called the Hospital of St. Mary Magdalene.
The School. Rent of twenty acres of land on the Low Moor, allotted in 1725-six free scholars.
Henry Stockhill's rent charge, given in 1677. £3. 10s. per annum to widows and other poor. -Vide 8th Report, page 755.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 85. Nonae Rolls, page 240. Bodleian MS., No. 5101, cairns and inscriptions. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Apetune), page 23; (Hildingeslei), 25 ; (Swintune), 25. Mon. Angl., vol. ii. page 178 ; vol. vi. page 780. Burton's Monasticon. Hinderwell's Scarbrough, page 15.
*1 Viz. Amotherby, 246; Appleton le Street, 158; Broughton, Ill ; Hildenley, 12; Swinton, 333.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.