Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: AYSGARTH.     Church dedication: ST. ANDREW.     Church type: Augmented discharged Vicarage.

Area, 79,980 acres. Hang West wapentake. -Population, 5,796 *1; Church-room, " sufficient ;" Net value, £137.

The Church belonged to the Nevills, of Raby, for a long while ; but on 27th April 1423, it was appropriated to Jervaulx Abbey, and a Vicarage ordained.

Patrons and impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge.

Inclosure Acts were passed 17th, 45th, 49th and 51st Geo. III., and 5th Geo. IV.

Valued in the King's Books, at £19.6s. 8d.

There is no glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1709.

Charities:
AYSGARTH TOWNSHIP. -rent charge, 10s. per annum.

BURTON WITH WALDEN TOWNSHIP.

Poor's close. Bought with £50; for apprenticing poor children.

Poor's land. A small allotment, let for 30s. per annum.

John Sadler's charity, by will, 30th December 1742. House and £16 a year for a schoolmaster, charged upon an estate called Chantry, at West Witton. In 1793, the owner of the estate discontinued the payment, on the ground of the devise being void.

THORALBY AND NEWBIGGIN TOWNSHIP.

Poor's land, 4a. 1r. 10s. per annum paid for a sermon on Good Friday ; residue of the rent to the poor.

Jas. Hammond's gift, interest of £3. 6s. 8d.; Chas. Robinson's gift, £1 per annum ; given in money or cloth.

Harrison's rent charge. £1 per annum.

Free School. Founded 2nd January 1748, by Elizabeth Whithay, widow, for teaching three poor children. Endowment school-house, three acres of land, and interest of 20s.

TOWNSHIP OF HIGH ABBOTSIDE.

One acre. Rent distributed.

TOWNSHIP OF LOW ABBOTSIDE.

Poor's money. Interest of £20.

TOWNSHIP OF LOW ABBOTSIDE AND ASKRIGG.

Almshouses at Grange. Dividends on £2,000 three per cent. consols ; £10 per annum paid to six poor women. -Vide 7th Report, page 684.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1567. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. 1. page 391. Nonae Roll, page 238.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Abbotside, High, 589 ; Abbotside, Low, 173; Askrigg, 737; Aysgarth, 332; Bainbridge, 881; Bishopdale, 108 ; Burton with Walden, 545 ; Caperby, 320; Hawes, 1,559; Newbiggin, 122 ; Thoraldby, 272 ; Thornton Rust, 158. Returned in 1834, at 2,100, excluding the Chapelries.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.