The Ancient Parish of BARNINGHAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARNINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 9 miles NW. of Richmond. The church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Richmond, diocese of Chester, and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the King. Here is an endowed School, founded by Acklam Millbank, Esq., conducted on the National plan, endowed with £25. per annum, and which was rebuilt in 1820. Pop, 384."
"EAST HOPE, in the parish of Barningham, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles WNW. of Barningham, 6 miles S. of Barnard Castle. Population with West Hope, 44."
"EAST WOOD, (2005 - now Eastwood Hall) a single house in the township and parish of Barningham; 1¼ miles N. of Barningham, 1 mile from Gretabridge, 4 from Barnardcastle, (Dur)"
"RUTHERFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Barningham, wapentake of Gilling West; 3½ miles WNW. of Barningham, 4½ miles S. of Barnard Castle."
"SCARGILL, 3 farm houses in the parish of Barningham, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles W. of Barningham, 5 miles S. of Barnard Castle. Pop. 136."
"SPANHAM, a farm house in the township of Scargill, and parish of Barningham; 4¼ miles W. of Barningham, 4 miles from Gretabridge."
"WEST HOPE, in the parish of Barningham, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3½ miles W. of Barningham, 6 miles S. of Barnard Castle. Population with East Hope, 44."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here is a photograph of St. Michael's Church, Barningham.
- Transcript of the entry for Barningham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Barningham.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barningham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ084103 (Lat/Lon: 54.487973, -1.871846), Barningham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NZ085101) Barningham Park
- (NZ080124) Eastwood Hall
- (NZ053107) Scargill Castle
- This parish is covered by the following Society: