The Ancient Parish of BARTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARTON, (or Barton St Mary's) a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, & liberty of Richmondshire; 7 miles NE. of Richmond. There are in this township two churches, one of them dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), and the other to St. Cuthbert. The living of St. Mary is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Gilling; incumbent, the Rev. John Atkinson. Here is also a Free School, with an endowment of £8 per annum; and an excellent lime stone quarry, for the purposes of agriculture, containing, by a late analysis, a greater proportion of pure lime than any other stone in the neighbourhood. A water fall bridge was erected here in 1821. Population, 436."
"NEWTON MORRELL, in the parish of Barton, wapentake of Gilling East and liberty of Richmondshire; ½ mile ENE. of Barton, 8 miles NNE. of Richmond. Pop. 31."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ232089 (Lat/Lon: 54.474934, -1.643501), Barton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: