BARTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"BARTON, a parish comprising the chapelries of Barton St. Cuthbert and Barton St. Mary (which form one township), and the township of Newton-Morrell, in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILUNG, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 467 inhabitants, of which number, 436 are in the township of Barton, 5 miles S.W. from Darlington. The livings of both chapelries are perpetual curacies, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester; that of St. Cuthbert's is endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Stanwich; and that of St. Mary's is endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The neighbourhood abounds with excellent limestone. Mark Smithson, in 1683, endowed a school with £6 per annum, which has been increased by subsequent benefactions: the school-house was purchased in 1705, with a bequest from Thomas Smithson."
"NEWTON MORRELL, a township in the parish of BARTON, eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Darlington, containing 31 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]